January 21, 2008

Today, I Won the Super Bowl

First of all, I must say I was never big on Football. American Football that is to you Soccer savvy savants. But this New York Giants run has been so exhilarating to watch in the past few weeks, and I must say last night's Ice Bowl against the Packers was no exception. I was yelling, cursing, sweating, squinting through tight eyelids. What a game. It was like a bad Disney movie, starring Tony Danza. If I saw last night's game in a movie, I would say, "No way the kicker misses a field goal in the 4th quarter but banks one in overtime. Stupid movies." But why am I writing about football, a sport I used to despise as a child and only watched sporadically as a teenager?

Well thanks to my state of the art Nintendo 64 video game console, along with Madden 2001 from EA Sports, I have grown to admire the intricacies of the game. Football that is. This game, Madden that is, has taught me the many life lessons of 3rd down conversions, the art of the linebacker, and that posting digital replays of your best video game moments on youtube does not automatically qualify you as a baby raper.

Tonight, in my second franchised season as head coach of the 2001 lineup New England Patriots, I led my men to victory in the Super Bowl. We beat the Washington Red Skins 42-31. Before you critical fans start throwing Cheetos at your screen booing me for my choice of team, let me just say, starting your franchise as the Cleveland Browns is fucking impossible. If you suck at the game, like me, you must pick a bulldozer of a team to even win your first game against the Gimpville Gusses. But tonight, I won, making 64 bit coach, Eric Truchan, a Super Bowl winning coach.

Thank you Madden 2001 for showing me the way of the game. Whether by turf or grass, domed top or opened, pass play or rush, Madden 2001 has become my pigskin Bible. I go to bed tonight a Super Bowl champion and wake up tomorrow a fucking loser.

No comments: