January 24, 2008

Excuse Me While I Drink Myself to Death (if I can find a fountain)

A water fountain is like a friend. It's really hard to find a good one. These days, finding a properly functioning water fountain could take up half your day. You may pass out due to bouts of dehydration in the mean time, but the adequate chill, and that strong trajectory, are essential to a fun water fountain experience.

We have become spoiled in the water fountains department of life ever since those kind with the cooling system came out. Remember in elementary school when the only water fountains around where those alabaster, porcelain ones that looked like it was made from spare toilet bowl parts? The water always tasted like toilet water too. And how about those racially segregated water fountains? Yeesh, that was embarrassing for ever party involved. But now a days, the ones with the chilling system is standard. Rather than feeling privileged, however, I just feel jipped.

Today, in search of a drink, every water fountain I came to was complete garbage. The water trickled out slowly, the water was too warm, or the trajectory was actually too good, in fact, that it shot right out the spout and off the designated basin area. Finally, I came across a complete, and fully functioning one. Nice range of water spoutage, proper temperature (cold enough to give your front tooth a slight sting). It was nirvana. A completely free and refreshing nirvana, I might add.

Still, to come to that point, I had to walk around, building to building of the Montclair campus to meet my needs. And it's not just the college that has the problem. It's every office building, high school, public park, mortuary. You name it, there's a piss poor water fountain on the premise. For once, I can't blame this problem on the internet or Republicans. Don't worry though. I'll think of a way.

No comments: