January 23, 2008

I Killed My Band: The Signing-Off Letter of Network of Halos

I posted the following message tonight on myspace announcing the demise of my band and decided it would be today's blog since it was lengthy. If you are unfamiliar with the band, Network of Halos, you can check out our music and releases at http://www.myspace.com/networkofhalos5 It's self-promotion baby!!! Without any further ado, here's the farewell notice from the headmaster of my rock n' roll starship.

Yes, just like The Velvet Underground and The Beatles, Network of Halos is hanging up the Chuck Taylors and walking the bumpy road ahead, barefoot. What the fuck am I talking about? Anyways, I've decided to retire the Network of Halos moniker and take a break from trying to take over the world with such baby steps.

I've hit a songwriting slump that's been bugging me. Thinking about the inactivity of Network of Halos hasn't exactly helped. It's been more of a drag coming to terms with the band's inactivity of playing shows and not recording as a group than anything else.

I always said I would NEVER break up Network of Halos, since it was essentially me and my 4-track. I swore on this. Lo-fi would never die. I could record endlessly under the name and never hang up my cleats. Then, Network of Halos became a band with the help of my girlfriend Kristin, my friend Mike, and my brother Brian. With them, I played my first show fronting a band, a dream of mine since I was 8. I actually played the guitar in front of people, an instrument I convinced myself I'd never be able to play when I was..oh, 8. And we actually sold a few c.d.s along the way.

But now, as I said, thinking about the slump of this band has really gotten me down. It may be a cop out. You may call me a pussy. Shit, The Mr. T Experience was around for 16 years and only sold about 19 records, all of which I purchased (good God). But they didn't give in. Why am I? Well, my heart's not in it at the moment.

There' s still another NOH album in the can, all music recorded, currently lacking vocals. I might release it posthumously, or as a solo Eric Truchan album (the solo idea is actually pretty stupid, but then again, I can be pretty stupid sometimes too). The band of Halos (Me, Mike, Kristin, and Brian), might reunite one day, Mission of Burma/Misfits style but that's all down the road. We'll see where this all leads.

Currently, Kristin and I are trying to hammer out some new songs together, rather than me trying to take on the burden of being a Dylan/Pollard/Mark E. Smith character, which I am so far from. Our project is yet unnamed and is currently restricted to unplugged bass/acoustic guitar strumming in the bedroom. Also, I'm playing drums with Eric Gieg in our band Atlas At Least. So the Truchan music machine isn't dead completely, just in a readjusting phase.

Our 3 albums are still available, including the newest "May All the Paperboys Unite." The 3 limited EPs are still available too although dwindling in numbers. Your best bet is to purchase the split EP Mike and I put out, entitled "Network of None" featuring Mike's only solo, lo-fi recordings, so far, under the name Nineteen Ninety None. It's tops!

Other than that, thanks for all the support and maybe you'll see the Network of Halos steamroller coming over the horizon in the near or late future. Who knows, maybe I'll post a retraction two days from now but I doubt it. After all, Screeching Weasel broke up and re-formed 3 times, so just as long as your body lives on, the possibility of the band is still around. None of us had a drug related falling out or money laundering problem so it's quite possible. Hope this doesn't add to your Heath Ledger fueled sadness.

Thank you to all the bands and friends who helped us and will continue to help us in the future. Sorry for the spelling mistakes in this post. It's been a blast. Just a boy, his friends, and his tape machine.

Take care. Thanks for listening.
-Eric Truchan

No comments: