December 9, 2008

I'm Making my Lists and Editing Them Once

It's that time of year again. Yes, time to start compiling those lists. And I don't mean your letters to Santa, because let's face it, the guy doesn't exist. Sorry, but he doesn't. Neither does the Tooth Fairy, Leprechauns, and a Colorado Rockies World Series ring. There all figments of a child's imagination.

But yours lists don't have to be. I'm convinced we only have months and moon cycles and linear time so when December rolls around, we can exercise our rights to publish our wonderful year round lists of everything in life that was worth checking out. December was created to give you a voice to tell the masses what was relevant in the year while you were alive to absorb it all. You can even make lists about things you didn't do. It's amazing!

I don't know about you, but all year long I make lists, some relevant, some daily and full of junk notes. Those include things I ate or how the weather made me feel. Those go in the garbage, fast!. But it's the year round ones that count. The list gives you the right to feel that you have some place in the human race, and that you were able to categorize such minute details into something important to you. And if one child in China happens to read my Best Albums of 2006 list and buys one of them, then let my life be not in vain.

So this December, compile your lists. Don't let US Weekly and Pitchforkmedia have all the say. Tell random strangers what the hell movies you liked, which people you wanted to kill, and what pets died on you in the year 2008. (a small sampling of the former would be: Burn After Reading, a waitress at The Adelphi Diner, and none).

This season, in between shopping and breaking bread with the family, make sure you make your lists. Because I want to know what the fuck you like to do with your time, or should I say, the Top 20 Things You Like (or Liked) to Do with Your Time in 2008.

No comments: