December 21, 2007

Whopper Freakout '07

What's with these Burger King commercials? You know, the new ones where employees of BK inform the customers they don't carry the coveted staple of the establishment, THE WHOPPER, and we see soccer moms and stay-at-home-dads lay a goose egg. I'm not sure what this commercial is trying to tell me.

The first one I saw, they tell some stoned kid with an Atreyu shirt and a haircut problem that they don't carry the whopper. He is shocked. What is this commercial saying to me? Not all scene kids are vegans?

In another one, some woman in a mini-van at the drive-thru is pissed and wants to speak to the manager, probably because she thinks some teen with a love of Jackass pranks is working the register. Another one shows a man screaming in outrage, "WHAT? NO WHOPPER!?" But I'd yell the same thing too if I went to the A&P and a store employee told me they discontinued Dixie cups and Q-tips. "WHAT? No Dixie's or Q-tips? Let me see your manager," I'd yell if heard such malarkey. This goes for any piece of commerce that's been ingrained in our society. They could film my reactions to the extinction of any mundane piece of American consumerism and make a better commercial. One where I drive a unicycle and juggle while yelling at people.

Nice try Burger King. Very sneaky marketing ploy. I just discontinued my interest in your WHOPPER OF TRICKERY. Film this (holds up middle finger. Mother walks by and yells to stop committing crimes against God).

No comments: